Last month I said I was going to replenish my “to watch/read” lists, and I DID, but then life happened and I didn’t get around to reading and watching as much as I would’ve liked. Ah well. I’m almost done 2 other books, but they didn’t quite make the cut for July. So I look lame. BUT! I super enjoyed a lot of what I read and watched this month so that makes up for it, hah!
- A Room of One’s Own, Virginia Woolf (1929)
- We Have Always Lived in the Castle, Shirley Jackson (1962)
- Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk (1996)
- Vanishing Girls, Lauren Oliver (2015)
- Get in Trouble, Kelly Link (2015)
COMICS / GRAPHIC:
- The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act (2014)*
- Lumberjanes, Vol. 1 (2014)
- Nimona (2015)
- SuperMutant Magic Academy (2015)
TV / EPISODES:
- Bob’s Burgers
- Gravity Falls
- Rick & Morty
Thoughts & reflections:
- I mentioned last month that I wanted to get into a non-cartoon TV show. So what do I watch? MORE cartoons, of course! I officially LOVE Gravity Falls! I was skeptical, but it’s so clever and amazing and creative and ugh. It’s filling my current AT void. Also Rick & Morty is back for season 2 FINALLY! Man, I love cartoons. I also tried Archer, but just couldn’t un-hear Bob’s voice from Bob’s Burgers, also Jerry from R&M.
- Also, as planned, I tried to get into a serial show. I picked Sense8 because it’s new and I wouldn’t be a thousand episodes behind (also because I have a thing for interwoven plot lines). I didn’t go into a binge-watching frenzy as I had anticipated, which is probably for the best. I dunno, I have a hard time watching serials. Call it a commitment issue.
- I splurged and read some stuff by my favorite authors this month. Jackson. Palahniuk. I am Joe’s premonition, because Fight Club is already my all time favorite movie (p.s. in the movie it’s “Jack,” not “Joe,” I know).
- I have found Virginia Woolf. It has begun. Watch out. Watch. Out.
- I love The Wicked + The Divine so much it makes me want to PUNCH something (in the best way). The art is so, so beautiful. And a female Bowie-esque rock god who is the devil incarnate?! I need to get my hands on Vol. 2 so bad it ACHES.
- Noelle Stevenson’s a cutie, and both Nimona and Lumberjanes are crazy fun. Good complements to my summer cartoon watching. Lumberjanes and Gravity Falls, especially, share some similarities.
- The three movies I did watch were also animated. That wasn’t intentional. Maybe summer just makes me want to be a kid again or something. Inside Out was one of the best movies I’ve seen in awhile!
Ideas for next month:
- Get back on track, yo.
- I’m craving a really good video game with a killer plot. Or something really pretty for my eyes to slurp up, please.