- Walden, Henry David Thoreau (1854)
- The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde (1890)*
- Mrs. Dalloway, Virginia Woolf (1925)
- The Color Purple, Alice Walker (1982)
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, Ransom Riggs (2011)
COMICS / GRAPHIC:
- Psychiatric Tales: Eleven Graphic Stories About Mental Illness (2010)
- Anya’s Ghost (2011)
- Here (2014)
- This One Summer (2014)
- Lumberjanes, Vol. 2 (2015)
TV / EPISODES:
- Gravity Falls
- Regular Show
- Bob’s Burgers
- Welcome to Night Vale (episodes 16-39)
- Lore (episodes 1 – 6)
- Invisibilia (Season 1)
- Serial (Season 1)
Thoughts & reflections:
- All about the audio this month. In addition to my rampant podcast listening, two out of my five books I listened to as audiobooks. I spent a lot of time in the car in October, what can I say? Thank you LibriVox. Thank you NPR. And all hail the glow cloud.
- Considering it was October, I didn’t really read anything spooky, did I? Miss Peregrine was slightly spooky, I guess. I believe it’s going to make a great Tim Burton film.
- I read some good graphic novels this month. Here was so inky, the book itself smelled weird, but it was awesome.
- I’m not above watching Minions. But I am free to admit that I thought it was pretty terrible.
- If you’re going to watch a foreign film with dubbing, make sure the English voice actors aren’t atrocious. I don’t know what version of Let the Right One In I watched, but the voice acting was so, so bad. So bad, it was comical.
- It looks like I didn’t watch any movies this month, but I’m not counting my re-watching of Halloween favorites (speaking of Tim Burton).
- I’m somewhat surprised how much reading I got done considering my dramatic schedule change. I discovered that my local library is busier at night than it is during the day (not surprising). And I have a newfound appreciation for lazy Sunday reading. And though Serial may have been one of the most engrossing series I’ve ever listened to, I’d be fine never to drive a car ever again, thanks very much.
Ideas for next month:
- I will play it by ear. HAH. Get it? Because I’m still going to be podcasting/audio-reading for awhile. Is what it is. I’ll take the opportunity to catch up on some public domain classics.
- Good movies. I want to watch them.
- Psychology books shall be read.