Happy 1 year anniversary to my monthly media log!
- Silas Marner, George Eliot (1861)
- The Years, Virginia Woolf (1937)
- Rubyfruit Jungle, Rita Mae Brown (1973)
- The Modern Library Writer’s Workshop: A Guide to the Craft of Fiction, Stephen Koch
COMICS / GRAPHIC:
- Kingdom Come, Mark Waid (1996)
- The Elements of Style Illustrated, William Strunk Jr. and Maira Kalman (2005)
- French Milk, Lucy Knisley (2007)
- Dear Creature, Jonathan Case (2011)
Thoughts & reflections:
- At last, I’ve been able to experience the joys and woes of binge-watching a show. I’d thought I was incapable, but I guess I’ve just never watched a series as amazing as Transparent. This show is perfect in general and perfect for me. I blew through the first season faster than I care to admit (hey, it’s only 10 30-min episodes). And thus, my whole monthly movie-watching goal is shot. Worth it. Now I have to decide whether or not to devour the second season right away. How do people watch TV this way? It’s taxing.
- As you can see, I attempted a movie theme of musicals this month… until Transparent happened. I still got in 3, and these are long films. I chose ones I’d never seen before, but probably ought to for cultural awareness and such (“I Feel Pretty” is from West Side Story? See, I didn’t know this). I usually think of myself as not being a fan of musicals, but I’m not sure why. I enjoyed them.
- I did some reading on writing this month. The illustrations in The Elements of Style Illustrated made me laugh! Otherwise, my reading selections don’t appear to have a connecting theme. The theme is the lack of theme.
- Of course I managed to accidentally find a comic that combines two of my favorite things — poetry and crabs. Dear Creature is adorable!
Ideas for next month:
- So it’s been a full year since I started logging my media consumption in this format. Is it time to change things up? I think maybe. How? I’m not sure yet, but I’m in the mood for something new.
- I have too many comics on hold at the library, they’re going to revoke my card. Someday when I’m rolling in riches, I’ll buy enough trade paperbacks to swim in, but for now, I have to be patient! Ugh.
- More nonfiction will be happening.
- Binge-watching Transparent season 2 and then crying that it’s not coming back until later this year will also very likely be happening.