- The 100 Best Poems of All Time, Leslie Pockell (2001)
- The Adventures of Henry Thoreau: A Young Man’s Unlikely Path to Walden Pond, Michael Sims (2013)
- Selected Poems of Emily Dickinson, Emily Dickinson (2016)
- The Girls, Emma Cline (2016)
- When Breath Becomes Air, Paul Kalanithi (2016)
- Paper Girls, Vol. 2, Brian K. Vaughan (2016)
- TED Radio Hour
Thoughts & reflections:
- Emily Dickinson and Boogie Nights. Wow, what a weird month. How the hell did this happen?
- See all those 2016s? I intentionally consumed some contemporary popular media this month. Soon it will be 2017s. I’d like to do a better job at keeping up with current popular fiction, at the very least.
- I normally only list TV shows if I watch a full season of something, but the San Junipero episode of “Black Mirror” is quite possibly one of the best things I’ve ever watched in my life, so I had to include it. I watched it twice this month, in fact. Hit me right in the feels both times. I’ve been hesitant to watch “Black Mirror” because I hear it’s so disturbing and depressing, and after attempting to watch a second traumatic episode, I now understand. This particular episode is a gem though.
- I didn’t write a post about my 2017 media goals like I had intended, so I’ll just summarize that I’m aiming for an average of 1 movie a week, and at least 5 books a month, including graphic novels and trade paperbacks. I’m cutting back on the book goal from last year because I’m not reading so many comics lately. Who knows, maybe sometimes this year I’ll find a complete series to devour, but for now, I’m not going to pressure myself. So, in sum, I made my goal this month. Hurray!
Ideas for next month:
- I’m ankle-deep in a writing endeavor that is already consuming a lot of my time this year. So my goal is to read books that keep me page-turnin’ and to consume compelling stories. I’ve begun scheduling time specifically for reading, and I hope to continue the habit.