- A Confederacy of Dunces, John Kennedy Toole (1980)
- White Teeth, Zadie Smith (2001)
- Playboy’s Silverstein Around the World, Shel Silverstein (2007)
- Here I Am, Jonathan Safran Foer (2016)
COMICS / GRAPHIC:
- The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 4: Rising Action, Kieron Gillen (2016)
- Good Will Hunting (1997)
- My Beautiful Broken Brain (2014)
- What Happened, Miss Simone? (2015)
- The Fundamentals of Caring (2016)
- Tallulah (2016)
- Bojack Horseman (S1, E1)
- Pop Culture Happy Hour
- TED Radio Hour
Thoughts & reflections:
- Moooooovies! I’m watching them again! How, why? Two words: Netflix Originals. Not quite indie, not quite mainstream, Netflix seems to produce some documentaries and dramas that fall in my niche of interest. My Beautiful Broken Brain was especially fascinating.
- I happened to read family-centered fiction this month. That was an accident. The Jones of White Teeth, the Blochs of Here I Am, and of course Ignatius and his mother. A lot of complex relationships to digest (and laugh about).
- I read some hefty books this month. Still, I’m reading less than I would like. I’m going to have to go back to carving out and defending reading time.
- I had no idea Good Will Hunting was set in Boston before watching it. So yes, half the movie I spent going, “Ohhh he’s riding the Red Line!” and such. I should have known — it has Matt Damon in it. Seems like he’s always either in Boston or in outer space.
Ideas for next month:
- Just trying to find time for reading/writing during this busy holiday season! Ah!