- Nature and Selected Essays, Ralph Waldo Emerson (1836)
- Chelsea Girls, Eileen Myles (1994)
- Reborn: Journals and Notebooks, 1947 – 1963, Susan Sontag (2008)
- Egghead: Or, You Can’t Survive on Ideas Alone, Bo Burnham (2013)
- Romantic Outlaws: The Extraordinary Lives of Mary Wollstonecraft & Mary Shelley, Charlotte Gordon (2015)
- The Underground Railroad, Colson Whitehead (2016)
- Stranger Things (S2)
- Up First
- Pop Culture Happy Hour
- It’s Been a Minute with Sam Sanders
- Nancy (wnyc)
- Philosophize This!
- Design Matters with Debbie Millman
Thoughts & reflections:
- Of the six books I finished, I saw two of their authors in person this month. That’s a confusing sentence, sorry. What I mean to say is that I saw Eileen Myles and Charlotte Gordon speak this October (separate occasions). Between the Boston Book Festival, the Ipswich Reads One Book event, and unplugging in a cabin for a week in Westhampton MA, I had a very bookish month.
- I went to the movie theater, finally! Second time in 2017. Worth it. Blade Runner was awesome. Long, but awesome.
- No, I’d never seen Hocus Pocus before. Sue me.
- I’m finally slowing down on podcasts, though I listened to a lot of Philosophize This! in the car this month. Simone De Beauvoir is my new queen, though I need to learn more about her.
- What better way to learn about a person than to read their private postmortem diaries like a creep, as I did with Susan Sontag. I’m not sure how I feel about reading folks’ real-life journals. It’s like voyeurism.
- Stranger Things 2 came our on my birthday and I’m so, so pleased! I’m savoring the season. Not quite done yet.
Ideas for next month:
- I’m not sure. I’m in a lull. I tore through my to-read and to-finish pile this month, and I need to get to the library. There’s only 1 book I’ve committed to reading for a book club. Otherwise, I think this’ll be a “whim” month. Whatever strikes my fancy.
- Maybe get back into audiobooks?